Monday, April 03, 2006

More About Cake & Centerpieces

Yesterday was our 3rd anniversary! It's a little hard to believe that Sam and I have been going out for 3 years. Sometimes it feels like we've been together for much longer than that, sometimes it feels like it hasn't been that much time at all. I took Sam out for a swanky dinner at a fondue restaurant called The Melting Pot. I've been wanting to take him there for about a year now. Fondue is fun! And delicious. We had a great time!

On Saturday, we had our 8:30 appointment with Siblings Bakery. And everybody was totally right, cuz they didn't really care that we were a no-show the previous weekend, and they were super nice. What's more, their cakes were delicious! Sam ate everything on his plate, uttering many "Mmm" noises in the process. The cake ladies said that if they stuck him in a corner and fed him cake while customers came in, he'd be good for business. (LOL) And when I showed Shirley (the owner) pictures of the cakes I liked, she was immediately spouting off ideas and showing me samples of similar things she made, and mixing together icing colors so the cake would be just the right shade of blue. Awesome! So we booked them on the spot. And for $250, I'm getting a 3 tier square marble cake (so yummy!) with fresh strawberry and bavarian cream filling. The cake will be iced in pale blue (I can't help it! I'm obsessed!) buttercream, decorated with chocolate branches and pink cherry blossoms with violet centers. So, it'll look like this picture (which I've posted before), only square, blue, and without the cute Japanese cake topper. I'm having a "decorative pile" of the blossoms on top instead.



(This part gets a little rambly, so I apologize in advance... )

I've also been debating about what else to put on the tables besides the oriental lanterns I bought a while back. I had thought about making flower-shaped jar lanterns, but I'm pretty sure they'd clash. And they're likely to be a little time consuming. So I guess I'll just have to make them for some other occasion.

I had always wanted flowers on the table, since we won't be able to have our reception at a garden. So, you know, if I had plants or flowers everywhere, I could bring the garden to the reception. I thought about using paper flowers, but there's the problem of candles on the table and paper being highly flammable. So I'd have to figure out if getting LED candles would really save me any money in the long run. Anyway, I broke down and bought the recent Martha Stewart Wedding magazine, featuring tissue paper flowers. Look how cute they are!I tried making some this weekend, and some turned out better than others. A couple of them weren't too hard to make, so I might make some for placecards, but I'm not sure if I should do them for centerpieces. Again, they'd be pretty time consuming. Cut flowers in vases or jars would be pretty, but fairly expensive. And they'd be hard to care for in amongst all the wedding week craziness. So I went hunting for plants at the garden section of the Do-It Center. I found several types of flowering plants for under $4. Not bad! The most promising ones seemed to be the mini-rose plants. They weren't the cheapest at $3.99, but not expensive, I don't think. They'd also be really easy to care for. I could just go buy them the day before, give them a little water, and plunk them in cheap terra cotta pots. So that's looking like the most likely option.

Why are table decorations the most difficult decision in planning this wedding? Ridiculous!

3 Comments:

At April 04, 2006 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to give you even more suggestions to think about, but what about just rose petals or other flowers on the table cloth with the lanterns? That might be pretty and give you some variation in height in your centerpiece.

 
At April 04, 2006 11:11 AM, Blogger Kristine N. said...

I think I wouldn't mind just the lanterns with flowers or rose petals strewn about if it weren't for the fact that our tables will be really long rectangular things. They fit 10 people per table! So I'm really afraid that the tables will look abysmally empty. So I think I really do need something else besides the lanterns... But I definitely want rose petals on the tables. I think I'll see if I can find some pictures of long table decorations online...

I'm also afraid that all this stuff I want to do will clash. (Paper flower placecards, giant paper flower wall decorations, real flowers and petals on tables...) And it's kinda scary, cuz I won't know if it looks bad until I'm setting up the day of. Gah! So complicated! [/rant]

 
At April 05, 2006 9:31 AM, Blogger Kristine N. said...

Aww, thank you! I'm really hoping that all the little customized things will really reflect us, so that even if it isn't the most glamorous wedding (and we're not glamorous people anyway), it'll be something that people will say "That's so like them." or "You can really tell this is Sam and Kristine's wedding."

And, yeah, I think I am stressing out about the decorations a little too much. I think it's cuz it's only a month away. (Yipe!) I just hope it looks like how I see it in my head. I'm such a worrywort!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home