Monday, March 27, 2006

Finally... "The Dress"

It finally came! After nearly two months of mild worry, my wedding dress finally came!

When I came home from work, I found a small yellow DHL bag on our doorstep. I was pretty confused as to how they fit a big ol' wedding dress in a square foot of packaging, but it was all there, neatly folded, so it was barely wrinkled. Amazing! (I'm easily impressed)

First, the very good news. The color of the embroidery, the look of the colored lacing down the back, the quality of the fabric - all perfect! Honestly, I don't know how it would look more like what I had wanted. And this makes me especially happy since I wasn't sure if the people I got it from could possibly get the right color from my description: "pale pastel blue embroidery with matching pale pastel blue lacing..." I'm very pleased with the quality. Absolutely luxurious fabric that's much nicer than the stuff they made the David's Bridal wedding dresses from. Very heavy, very soft, and very warm! I was tromping around my apartment with the wedding dress on, and I got hot already. (Note to self: put on extra deodorant on wedding day! =P)

Next, the nitpicky news. The dress is really hard to put on over my enormous shoulders. I needed to unlace the entire thing to get in it. Also, I kinda wish the dress part was a little bigger so the laces could form a much smaller and tighter V. I wasn't laced up very tightly (just enough that I could see what it looks like), but the laces seemed very wide to me. And I kinda wish the color of the lacing was paler, to match the embroidery, but I do like how it looks , so I'm just being anal. Also, even though the dress makes my stomach look flat, it really isn't and the "privacy panel" kept snapping out of place when I bent over. It's not really the dressmaker's fault that I love pasta and bread and potatoes, so I'm gonna have to work harder to lose a couple inches around the waist before May.

Also, Sam saw me in the dress. I was so eager to try it on, but no one but Sam was around to help me get in it, and I couldn't lace myself up, so he laced me up in it. So much for not seeing the dress before the wedding. He loves it, though.

Anyway, here's a whole barrage of pictures for everyone to enjoy.


Please excuse my messed up hair. I had just gotten home from work. Oh, and please excuse the towels too. We haven't had time to tidy up.

The back! I think for the wedding, I'll just have the laces tied in a knot instead of a bow, so the tails fall lower down the back. Also, you can't see it, but the train seems really long! It goes back about 4 feet behind me!

Back closeup.

Side front.

Front.

Front detail.

Embroidery detail. I think this picture shows it very true to color.

Side closeup.

Honestly, though, these pictures don't really do it justice. I'm so happy with how well it turned out! Even though it came late, I think I'll give the seller a positive feedback anyway. I mean, I got a $800+ dress for $264 including shipping and delivery insurance. I certainly feel like I came out ahead with this one.

8 Comments:

At March 28, 2006 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that dress on you!

Don't worry about him seeing it already. It will look so different when you are all done up on the big day!

 
At March 28, 2006 11:07 AM, Blogger Kristine N. said...

Thanks, Whoever-You-Are! :) I agree - I imagine it will be different on the wedding day. It'll probably even feel different to me too!

 
At April 04, 2006 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that if you wanted straps that matched the gown embroidery, you could go to a nice fabric store and find ribbon that matches it better where you live. Good luck. Your dress is gorgeous.

 
At April 05, 2006 9:20 AM, Blogger Kristine N. said...

Yeah, I had considered that. But like I said, I think I'm just being nitpicky. I do think it looks okay as it is, and I'm not sure if I want to mess with it this close to the wedding date. Thanks, though! :)

 
At April 05, 2006 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Can't wait to help you put it on on the big day!

 
At April 05, 2006 4:11 PM, Blogger Kristine N. said...

Aww, thanks, Ciara! :)

 
At December 31, 2008 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey what website did you find this dress on? I want to get a Maggie knock off and I want to use the most reliable website.

 
At December 31, 2008 10:27 PM, Blogger Kristine N. said...

I got it from Ebay! Here's the link to the seller's shop: http://stores.ebay.com/Cinderellas-Bridal-Shop_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsxQ3asstQQtZkm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home