Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Almost Ten Dollars!!

This weekend was a fairly productive weekend, but not nearly as much as I wanted it to be. Still, I'm nearly finished with the invitations (I feel like I'm always saying so, but it really is true!), I bought the bridesmaid dresses, and I bought what's almost certainly going to be my wedding shoes. No cake arrangements or ring yet, though. (Laundry and apartment clean-up didn't happen either. I blame it on Lost. A friend recommended it, and we bought the first season, and damn it if it isn't addictive! Then iTunes has the second season, so it all went downhill from there...)

Anyway, I spent most of Sunday and part of yesterday printing out the invitations. It wouldn't have taken so long, except that I had to lay them all out to dry for an hour before I could gather them up. (I didn't end up taking them to Kinko's) But I've printed 60 invitations that just need to be cut and assembled. Hooray! I still have overlays and bellybands to print on vellum, but I'm going to do that later this afternoon on my work laserjet printer. I need to get addresses for my relatives too. But they're not as urgent, since they'll be coming from in-state. So long as we get almost all the out-of-state invitations mailed within the next few days, we should be in good shape. Though, my goal is to have almost all of the invitations mailed by Saturday.

After I finished printing, I picked up Sam from work at about 1pm, ate lunch with him at Subway, and dropped him off at home before going to David's Bridal and Joann's Fabrics and Crafts. David's Bridal was really busy again, but that was good for me because I didn't want to be noticed. (I didn't make an appointment) I had decided the best course of action was to find the dresses Nimalee and Ciara liked that were on clearance, since they were something both of them looked good in and we wouldn't have to wait 2 months for them to come in. So I went straight to the bridesmaid section and hoarded all of the dresses in that style and pattern. I found a blue and a purple dress in Nimalee's size, but I couldn't find the one that Ciara had tried on last time. So I went hunting around the dressing rooms, pretending I was looking at the purses and shoes they had on display, and found the one that would fit Ciara (a smallish size for her, but still fit her really well). In the end, I bought a strapless tea-length blue dress for Ciara and a spaghetti strap tea-length violet dress for Nimalee, both with the same floral print. They look really cute! I think I like that they have slightly different dresses, cuz it has more personality. I'll take pictures of them and post them soon.

Finally, my bittersweet shoe story. Once upon a time, I found really cute shoes online: light blue Two Lips Tessa shoes (see picture below). They were about $50 - 60, but I figured they were worth it because they looked beautiful and somewhat comfortable. But as I was poking around online, I found out that the outlet mall here in town had a Two Lips Shoes store. Perhaps I could find my beloved shoes there? So I made my way to the outlet mall, and I found my shoes! In my size! The sign behind them said $19.99. And the peasants rejoiced.

But beside the Tessa shoes were similar shoes, in a slightly bolder shade of blue. They were called Talent shoes. These had an open heel, but the same embroidery. I couldn't decide which I liked more. After much deliberation (and several odd looks from the store employees), I decided on the Tessa shoes, since I liked the color better and the Talent shoes looked a little like house slippers. I went to the register and - to my surprise - the lady said my total was $10.71. Could it be? I thought. Could they really be only $10? And if they are only $10, I could just as easily buy the other pair of shoes too! So I asked the lady, "Are those other shoes $10 too?" And she went to go look. But she saw the sign! The wretched sign that said $19.99. And she came back and said, "Sorry, I lied. They're both $19.99. Sorry about that!"

Noooooo! My mind cried out. It cannot be! But my mouth, in its ingrained politeness, said "It's okay." I paid the $21 (including tax) for my one pair of shoes and left, cursing myself for opening my big mouth.

Maybe I could have tried to make the lady feel bad for having me pay $21 when she said they were $10. Maybe I could have asked for the extra discount anyway. But it wasn't in my nature to do those things. Yes, it's good to look on the bright side. I got my wedding shoes for only $21. But they were almost $10! So, the moral of the story? Don't get too greedy. When someone offers you $60 shoes for $10, pay for them and run.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home