Sunday, January 15, 2006

Photography, Guest List, and Other Ramblings...

I feel like Sam and I have finally gotten into the swing of our wedding planning. Yesterday, we went to go see our photographer at Universal Citywalk and, after a casual meeting, we booked her! Yay! Her photos are fantastic, and she's a very nice and sensible person. The best part is that her prices are so reasonable! For $650, we're getting 6 hours of photography (with 2 photographers), 500+ prints, digital effects (black & white, sepia, dual-tone), and a CD with all our pictures on it (probably around 1000). I'm very pleased.

In other news, I just finished making a simple spreadsheet for our guestlist, since invitations should go out by the end of next month. I still have to ask Sam about his side because I don't know if he's inviting some aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. I put the ones I know of on there, though. So far, including people who may be invited, I've got 66 on the list. And - other than the 11 maybes and a couple people involved in family feuds - I'd be really surprised if any of those people didn't show up. But I really hate working on the guestlist. So many people think that weddings are "bring a date" occasions, but I don't want complete strangers at my wedding. I don't even understand why strangers would want to be there. So I've developed a rule regarding who I invite (on my side). If I haven't seen or talked to them more than twice in the past 5 years, they're not invited - unless the person is a spouse or fiance of someone I know and love. I might make an exception for live-in boyfriends/girlfriends too. I haven't decided yet. But I don't want to start making distinctions between people's relationships. For example, I can't say Lola Jo's boyfriend of 2 years is more important and therefore more worthy of an invitation than Bertha Mae's boyfriend of 2 months, especially if I haven't met either of the boyfriends. What if Bertha Mae is really serious about her new boyfriend? What if Lola Jo's relationship is on thin ice? (Not real names of friends) And I don't want to start adding "And Guest" to every invitation sent to a single person. I think it's very impersonal, for one, and I don't want my guests to just bring random people. Why do people do it?? It's weird! And I won't be inviting coworkers or bosses either, because we're not friends and I don't intend on staying at the company any longer than I have to after I'm married anyway. Besides, even if I wanted to, I couldn't invite any of them without another 15 coworkers (who I work with every day) wanting to be invited too. Anyway, enough about that.

I'm making appointments with bridal salons for next Saturday. I think 2 should be enough: David's Bridal and Camarillo Bridal. I figure we'll spend about 2 hours at each place and then I'll definitely know what style and sizes look good on me. I also bought some tulle to make my veil. I think I bought a little too much, but I guess it's better to be able to make it smaller than try to make it bigger. So I might start working on it this week.

I guess that's it for this wedding update. It's a lame ending to an entry, but whatcha gonna do?

2 Comments:

At January 17, 2006 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, if you don't know the name of the guest they're likely to bring, I think you can safely leave them off the invitation. "And guest" always seemed a little informal to me. Although I freaked out a little this summer when I received a wedding invitation addressed to me and Jonathan at my address. I mean, it's not like we're married! Anyway, wedding invitations are crazy things! My good friend got married this weekend (they planned the whole thing in three weeks!!!) and invited about 200 people, thinking not many would be able to come on short notice. Almost everyone came! But everyone really, really loves Liz and Omar...

KristineK

 
At January 17, 2006 11:38 AM, Blogger Kristine N. said...

Yeah, we're looking at about 94 people if everybody we're definitely inviting shows up, including me and Sam, our photographers, and possibly our deacon. 99 if we invite the few maybe invites. (boyfriend/girlfriend of friends that we either haven't met or don't know too well, parents of friends) It's ridiculous! We thought it was only gonna be about 60 people. I think what's really killing us is that so many of our guests have families. I should ask our venue if they have kids' meals for less...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home