Thursday, January 05, 2006

Dress Dilemma - Reprise

So I think I found the Ebay seller I want to buy my dress from. And I know I haven't tried on any dresses yet (like I said I would), but I already know what style I like. And I'm a little afraid that the dresses won't be available anymore if I don't get it by the end of the auction. (Even though it seems like they often relist styles, I apparently like the unpopular ones...)

The Ebay seller has 100% Feedback, and all the comments say they're high quality and beautiful. They're also copies of designer dresses for about $600 less than the real thing. So for a little over $200 (including shipping) I could get an amazing brand new dress! I can even customize the colors and measurements. And the dress would be here by next month! (Bridal shop orders take at least 3 months)

But I'm not sure which to choose and how to go about this. First of all, I really, really like the style of these dresses, but since they don't have my changes on the sample pictures, I don't love them, you know? And I took my own measurements, but I don't really trust them. (Can my waist really be 30 inches??) And I'm feeling kinda bad cuz I know Nimalee and Ciara were really looking forward to going to bridal shops. I'd be totally ready to say "Let's go on Saturday!", but I don't think Nimalee can make it out here in that short of notice... I think I'll give her a call.

I have a few days to make a decision before the auction closes (there's 5 available, so I'm not worried about someone getting there before me). In the meantime, I'll think about it and stare at it in my bored time at work. ^^ I'll also call the dry cleaners across the street to see if they'll take my measurements for free. And I'll talk to my bridesmaids to see what they think.

I like several of the styles this seller has for auction, so if I miss these, I guess it won't be a total loss. But here are the two current frontrunners. Click the style names to see the auction and more pictures.

"Cindy Milly" style, modeled after Maggie Sottero's Cindy - $189 + $55 shipping



"Avril Milly" style, modeled after Maggie Sottero's Avril - $189 + $55

I'll post details about what I want to do with them in the comments. (Sam, no peeking! Don't go looking at the Ebay listings either!)

Let me know what you think of these! Which do you like better?

6 Comments:

At January 05, 2006 2:57 PM, Blogger Kristine N. said...

Okay, so if I were to get one of these dresses, I'd want to replace the red embroidery on the Cindy dress with pale blue. Same for most or all of the white embroidery on the Avril dress. Beading would stay clear or white... I think either of those would be very pretty with the blue accents everywhere.

Here are my problems with the dresses. I really like the embroidery on the Cindy dress, but I'm a little worried it might look too... busy. I think if the color was a pale blue, though, it'd look more subtle. (But it's hard to imagine it while looking at the very dark red on the sample.) I'm also not a huge fan of the pleats, but the more I look at it, the more it grows on me.

On the other side of the spectrum, I'm worried that the Avril dress is too boring. But I do think that would change if the embroidery were changed to blue. And I can't decide whether I like the concentrated embroidery like on the Cindy or trail of embroidery all over the Avril... But I like the embroidery pattern of the Avril more than that of the Cindy...

This is seriously the most I've ever thought about a single item of clothing! Sorry about the rambling... I know nobody cares as much about my wedding as I do. LOL. ^^ This wedding has turned me into such a girl!

 
At January 05, 2006 8:02 PM, Blogger CoconutNimz said...

i knew you were a girl somewhere under there!! hey, so i actually can't make it this saturday cuz i have a meeting all day from 11am-4pm, but i could try making it out on short notice for any other day. so feel free to at least call and check with me when you wanna go shopping last minute and i'll try my hardest to be there. if not, i'm visiting my aunt in the valley probably next weekend, so maybe we can work something out for then. call me...oh, and i think i like the 2nd dress better...with blue accents though like you said.

 
At January 05, 2006 8:13 PM, Blogger CoconutNimz said...

oh and dont worry about me...although i do want to go dress shopping with you and watch you try on stuff until we have that "yeah! that's the one!!" moment, i mostly just want you to be happy with your dress and just love what you're wearing, so if you get it online, dont worry, it wont be a big deal and i'll only hold it against you for like a year. but i sure as hell better be the first one to see it when you get it!!

 
At January 06, 2006 7:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the second one better. I like that it's less "busy". And I think pale blue would be very pretty. Like an ice blue? I was going to say get Sam to take your measurements, but that probably won't work. And yes, if you're measuring at your natural waist, it could very well be 30. You're pretty petite, aren't you? But if you've got a friend or your mom that can take a set of measurements to back up yours, that should help. I'd offer to do it, since I've done it a lot for dance, but I'm in Iowa and that just won't work!

 
At January 07, 2006 4:08 PM, Blogger Kristine N. said...

Nimalee - I'll try to remember to call you tonight. I'm glad we talked, cuz it helped me keep perspective. Even though I really like the dresses, I really should go to at least one bridal shop first to try things on. Hopefully we can work something out for next weekend. Thanks for being so supportive, Munch!

Kristine - I actually thought it sounded kinda big! Cuz, yeah, I'm tiny. I think the bridal sizes are throwing me off, cuz if you look at the size charts of bridal dresses, a 30 inch waist isn't until size 14. But then, my bust is like a size 6 or 8. What's up with that? I guess that's another good reason to go to a professional, just to see what size they recommend.

It's funny that you both like the second one better, cuz I initially liked the first one a little better. But after some thought, I think after the blue is put in, I might like the second better too. I think the fact that it looks so plain right now is what's making me like it less.

 
At January 09, 2006 9:27 AM, Blogger Kristine N. said...

Yay! The dresses have been relisted! I can wait until January 18 to get them now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home