Wednesday, November 30, 2005

To iPod or Not to iPod

Sam says he's gonna get me an iPod for Christmas. Yay!

iPods are so popular nowadays that I heard of a recent trend with budget-bound brides. They're using iPods to "DJ" their weddings! And I think it's a pretty good idea. A common complaint about weddings is that the music's always really bad. Or that the DJs are too cheesy. But if we were to create our own playlists, at least we could be sure that we like the music. Wouldn't it be horrible if they played rap followed by Britney Spears followed by Cher? *shudder*

So I'm kinda considering having an iPod reception. It's much cheaper than a DJ. It's way cheaper than a band, and with more music variety. Sam and I could buy one of those iPod-compatible stereo/speaker sets for still less than a DJ, and we'd have something to keep for ourselves. Guests could occasionally go to the iPod to pick a song they like. I even read a cool idea online: with the RSVP, guests could write in their favorite song so we could download it and put it on the playlist. And it's all pre-approved by us, so we won't get any songs we hate or possibly vulgar songs or whatever else.

Really, the only thing that I'd want a DJ for is to read the mood of the party. You know, if people wanted to dance all fast and crazy for a good long while, he'd keep that up, but if people suddenly wanted a slow song, he could accomodate that too. He could also catch people's attention for cake cutting, toasts, special dances, bouquet tosses, etc. And I had thought that maybe people wouldn't dance if there wasn't that party energy that people get from DJs and live performers...

Still, I've been to enough house parties (well, okay, only at Sam's house) to know that you don't need a DJ to get people to dance. And sometimes even if there is a DJ or band, sometimes people don't dance. Like at the Cage in Iowa City. Or really any non-clubby bar in Iowa City. And DJs who double as MC can be annoying. I could get one of the bridal party to announce toasts and bouquet tosses. I think my mom has a karaoke machine we could use for a microphone. I've heard that some people have done that. And I'm trying to get out of the mindset that getting a professional to do something means it'll be classy. Cuz that's not necessarily the case.

I guess I really am leaning toward having an iPod reception. I think even if money wasn't an issue, I'd lean toward it. It makes a little more sense to me than a DJ, and it's more personalized. But I think if I didn't have to budget so much, I'd like to have a band. An Irish band would be so much fun.

There are too many choices in wedding planning! Doesn't bode well for an indecisive person like me... =P

2 Comments:

At December 05, 2005 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TheBoy and I are going ipod, or itunes at least [we may just load everything onto my powerbook and go that route]. We're both music snobs and I see no reason to appoint a dj when we can appoint someone to watch it and make sure the right playlist goes at the right time. I don't recommend allowing people to queue their own songs because that's a lot of people touching your equipment and monkeying with the music. Besides, anything that you had on the ipod would be fair game then and who knows what could show up. There's also the potential for an unwatched guest to swap out their own ipod which could definitely spell disaster.

 
At December 06, 2005 3:14 PM, Blogger Kristine N. said...

Yay! A Craftster visitor! :)

Yeah, I had thought that letting guests pick songs might get tricky and messy. But I still like the idea of having guests send in their favorite songs so we could find them and maybe put them on the playlist. That would at least make them more invested in the music.

I think if we had a dinner playlist, we could just set it on repeat for as long as we needed, then switch over to the dancing playlist when the time was right. Then we could just start it off with our first dance song and leave it running for the rest of the night. As for the dancing music, we'll probably have to think outside the box a little. I bet if we look through some oldies or even a little 80s rock, we could find some acceptable dance music without dipping into the techno and hip-hop barrel.

Maybe we could go to a club sometime and figure out what kind of music we like that people dance to...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home