Monday, November 28, 2005

To-Do List

There's so much we need to be doing, and it's overwhelming to think that we'll need to get it done soon. I think part of the reason we haven't gotten a lot of this stuff done yet is because thinking about it is so overwhelming. We're also notorious procrastinators. 5 months feels far away, but I know that it's actually a really short time for planning a wedding. We don't want to be doing all of this at the last second. That would be really bad.

So here's a list of the things we need to do, kind of in order. Unless I don't know where it goes. Oh dear.
  • Book reception location
  • Book caterer (and bartender, if not provided)
  • Shop for/Buy wedding dress
  • Shop for bridesmaid dresses
  • Create/Send Save-The-Date cards to out of town guests
  • Work on DIY projects (ongoing)
  • Book photographer/videographer
  • Book DJ/Band
  • Shop for/Order cake
  • Order test flowers (if needed)
  • Fill out wedding gift registry
  • Get dress alterations (if needed)
  • Order flowers
  • Order Sam's tux (I have no idea where this goes)
  • Create/Send invitations
  • Track down guest RSVPs
  • Confirm details with vendors
  • Get marriage license from court house
  • Get final headcount
  • Pay vendors
  • Rehearsal

Catholic wedding requirements (I'm not sure where these go):

  • Questionnaire
  • Pay deposit
  • Obtain baptism, communion, & confirmation information
  • 3 meetings with Deacon John
  • Call wedding coordinator
  • Call Dominic (music coordinator)
  • Have Jay get with choir friends and wedding music people
  • Pick songs
  • Marriage retreat/class/counseling
  • Marriage "test"
  • Get witness forms filled out
  • Pick wedding ceremony readings
  • Give wedding coordinator marriage license

See what I mean about 5 months being a short time? Yeesh. And I'm not even sure I remembered everything. Hopefully we'll be able to get some of these things done at the same time, like if our reception location provides inexpensive catering.

Oh, another thing I need to do is apply for a high-limit credit card. I need to do this for several reasons:

  1. Since we won't have our full budget saved up until May, we need a way to pay for things until then.
  2. We can pay one bill gradually rather than a billion bills all at once.
  3. If we have problems with any of our vendors, we can contest the charge and not pay until the issue is settled.
  4. If we go over our in-the-bank budget a little, it won't be a huge deal.

I hope my credit is good enough for a spiffy new Capital One card. I have a small limit one already, and it's been pretty good to me so far.

Okay, I should really get back to work...

3 Comments:

At November 30, 2005 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Make sure someone (probably someone at the church) files the wedding certificate with the county courthouse after the wedding. This is different from the wedding license. My friend learned this past weekend that, after two years, she is not actually married because no one filed the wedding certificate. Not such a problem, except they're trying to adopt. Now--so much paperwork. Good thing I'm a notary public and willing to come pretty much on call to notarize things!

Not to scare you, just something no one thinks about! Good luck!

KristineK

 
At November 30, 2005 8:18 PM, Blogger Kristine N. said...

Wow, wedding certificate? What is it, and how's it different from a wedding license? Thanks for letting me know!

 
At September 17, 2006 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work as a church administrator, I was horrified one day when I found that our secretary had not filed the wedding licenses for 3 of our marriages. Since that day, I have requested this responsibility be the pastor's. Needless to say the secretary no longer has a job at the church. The certificate is nice, but the pastor MUSt file the wedding license with the courthouse.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home