Saturday, November 26, 2005

Ring Around the Rosey

Sam and I love roses. They look and smell so lovely. So we're having them for the bouquets and bouttonierres. You can get inexpensive, high-quality roses from online wholesale stores like Freshroses.com or OnlineWholesaleFlowers.com. I've heard great things about Freshroses.com, so I'm leaning toward getting the roses from them. But OnlineWholesaleFlowers.com offer free shipping on orders over $150... I might order from samples from them beforehand to see about the quality. Sam's Club and Costco also sell wholesale roses, so there are a lot of options.

Here's what I'd like my bouquet to look like:
It's a hand-tied bouquet using Black Magic roses. I think the deep, dark red is beautiful and romantic. But I don't know if it will match with all the blue I want everywhere. I probably will go with them anyway. I'm taking a "do whatever the hell I want" attitude toward the wedding since I'm paying for most of it. So I figure, if that's what I want, who cares if it matches?

Here's a sample of a Black Magic rose from Freshroses.com:

Anyway, I think around 25 roses for my bouquet might be big enough. And then maybe 15 roses for the bridesmaid bouquets. I was thinking purple for them. Here's a sample picture of a Lavon rose:


I was also thinking about a cream colored rose for the bridesmaids - or for me, if I was feeling more "bridelike" - but I'm not sure about it. But I really love the color of this Sahara rose:


Isn't it pretty? Just a touch of peachy pink. But I want the wedding to be very colorful, so I probably won't go with them. They probably wouldn't dry very well either, and I want to preserve my bouquet.

Sam's bouttonierre would match mine, of course. Then his groomsmen would match the bridemaids. I think we'll make bouttonierres/ corsages for our parents and for our brothers too, but overall, we won't need many flowers. I don't want to have fresh flowers for the centerpieces, cuz I'd like to get as much done way in advance if I can. My bridesmaids and I would make our bouquets and the bouttonierres the night before the wedding and probably store them in my refrigerator. If we did the centerpieces too, I wouldn't have time or know how to transport that many flowers. But I will buy a lot of rose petals to scatter on the tables.

I was thinking about making beaded roses to add to the centerpieces, since paper flowers might prove to be a fire hazard. Beaded roses catch the light really well, and I could make them in all kinds of unique colors.


The problem is that they're so time consuming to make, and I'd need to make about 40 or 50 of them. I suppose I have time between now and then, but I want my projects to be as simple and easy as possible. Blue twinkly roses would be so cool, though...

Once again, comments would be happily received. ^_^

5 Comments:

At November 30, 2005 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think beaded roses and rose petals is a bit too much. I suggest votive candles and rose petals on tablecloths. Simple. Elegant. Understated.

Also, depending on what color the bridesmaids dresses are, I really like the creamy roses for them. Definitely the red for you.

Can you tell I'm avoiding work today?

KristineK

 
At November 30, 2005 8:24 PM, Blogger Kristine N. said...

Haha! I like avoiding work too. ;) And I'm enjoying all your comments!

I was thinking the beaded roses would be too much too, but it's very hard to visualize these things when it's just all in your head.

My initial concern with the cream roses was that they were too "bridal" for bridesmaids, since lots of people seem to think that white colors are just for the bride. But then I realized that's silly. :P

 
At December 03, 2005 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been to a couple weddings lately that have used calla lilies for the bridesmaids, which are white. The same weddings have also had the bridesmaids in black, so I think pretty much all the "conventions" are out these days. Do what you want!

KristineK

 
At February 27, 2006 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't advise storing your finished flowers in your fridge [unless it is completely empty of food.] I took a floral design class and we were told it is a big no no because the temperature is too cold [generally] and having all of the food chemicals in the same place as the flowers is bad for them. Just a tip.

 
At February 27, 2006 10:58 AM, Blogger Kristine N. said...

Hi again! I recently heard that somewhere too. But I think if I put it at the top of the fridge (since that's where it's least cold) and only keep them in there overnight, they should be okay. I wouldn't keep the bouquets in there because they're probably too big and I could put them in water anyway. I'm just worried that if I do the bouttenierres the night before, they won't last throughout the next day if they're not kept cold. Hopefully we won't have any food in there (since we'd be going away for the honeymoon presumably), so I can clean it out and turn down the cold. Thanks for the advice!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home