Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Wedding Worries and Ramblings

I hate that every time I talk about the wedding, money is always involved in the conversation. And it can't be helped, because we're on such a tight budget that everything we do has to be planned out monetarily. It's like planning a business, only it's a wedding. Ah well. What can you do?

There are good things about being so budgeted. I've been figuring out what's important to me when it comes to all this, and that's good. There's less waste, fewer unnecessary things to get in the way. I think all the excessive details make a person lose sight of what they're really doing that day. It's all about love, friendship, family, and fun. Anything not involving those 4 things are completely unnecessary.

So I'm paring down my big ideas again. I figure that if we have a restaurant cater, that should cut costs big time. In fact, I'd be surprised if the food cost us more than $700 that way. I suppose I will still call a couple catering places, but if they charge more than $15-18 per person for a buffet, it's the restaurant route we go. I just sent a request for information from Buca di Beppo (really yummy, rather inexpensive Italian restaurant), and I figure we could look into a Chinese place too.

Still, I'm worried that we'll screw ourselves over in the cost of rentals, since the restaurant likely won't provide servers or chafing dishes (or even tables and chairs, for that matter). How will we set up the food? How much will tables and chairs and linens cost? It's also tough because we still haven't figured out the reception venue thing, and we might need to rent a dance floor too. So I'm worried all the efforts we put into saving money will backfire because of all the extra stuff we need to rent.

The reason we haven't booked or even been to reception places yet is a combination of laziness and the inability to find something affordable. We've been slackers these past couple weekends, and the affordable places we have called haven't answered or called us back. So frustrating. Of course, I imagine Sam's the one who's really frustrated by this. I get to do the fun searching and investigating part. Sam's the one who actually has to call these fuddy duddies. (I hate phones)

But, I was thinking about the alcohol situation. Sam and I have debated about alcohol for a while now. Open bar is expensive, cash bar is tacky. Select drinks (beer, wine, margaritas) for free is less expensive. But we'd still have to pay for a bartender... Or do we? Since I'm thinking about not getting a caterer, I started thinking maybe we shouldn't have a bar either. I was originally worried about underage people at the reception, but then I couldn't think of any underage guests who wouldn't have their parents there. My cousins' parents will be there. Unless Sam's niece and nephew come, I can't think of anyone we're inviting who's underage from his side... So why not just go to Costco, buy a few cases of beer, Bacardi R's, and some bottles of wine? We could do the same for soda too. The wine can go on the tables, and the other stuff can go in galvanized tubs filled with ice. I think this could be a definite possibility... ^^

Gosh, I hope people don't get too drunk at the reception. I know some people who don't make good drunks...

1 Comments:

At December 08, 2005 10:23 AM, Blogger Kristine N. said...

I just had this overwhelming urge to sing "Que Sera, Sera"... I won't, though.

And then I suddenly got this uncomfortable image of drunk Tom putting his arm around me and saying very loudly, "So, Kristine, what's it like being married to ol' Sammy-boy?" :\

I think it's natural for brides to worry that something will go horribly wrong on their wedding day. Drunk people just make me nervous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home