Sunday, March 12, 2006

Catching Up

I decided that this weekend would be relatively free from wedding stuff. Sometimes I think the wedding planning has taken on a life of its own, shoving aside everything else in my life. So I've been taking the time to catch up with a friend, clean the apartment, take brisk walks, and do some yoga. It's nice to take a little break.

However, there have still been several wedding developments over the past week. This past Friday, Sam and I went to a ballroom dance class, focusing on the Foxtrot and Cha-cha. The class will go on every week for about 6 weeks. We're hoping that we can use what we learn to really impress our guests during our first dance. We were the youngest couple there by far; the youngest other couple was about 10 years older than us, and most couples were 20 years older! So we felt a little out of place. I think Sam was nervous too, because he was the only one there who had never had any experience with ballroom dance before (I had taken a class several years ago). Our female teacher (we had 2 teachers, who were married) took the time to help Sam learn the steps, which was really very kind of her. By the end of the class, Sam was dancing very nicely! I was impressed because he had learned almost everything the rest of the class had been taught, and they all had much more experience. I feel like we could probably come up with something very nice for our first dance if we can just perfect even just the things we learned on Friday.

Also, I've been getting compliments on our invitations! Only 3 people have RSVP'd so far - Nimalee, her dad, and one of my friends from college. I know other people are definitely coming, but we haven't heard from them yet. I can't wait till more people RSVP! I still have some more invitations to send out, but I need more ribbon and I haven't gotten some addresses yet... Yarg. I have to call some relatives again, cuz they never called me back from the first time. I hate calling people!

And I've finally decided on a wedding ring. It's a Celtic-style Trinity Knot ring from Linda Clifford: Scottish & Irish Merchant. It'll be a two-tone ring with a yellow gold main band and white gold knot detailing. There will be 3 clusters of a sapphire surrounded by diamonds. (It's the one pictured through the link above.) It'll be custom made in my size in Ireland, so I don't have to worry about resizing once it gets to me. It's not the antique style that I had originally wanted (and still would want, if I could find one I was happy with), but I'm choosing it because the colors are the same as Sam's ring, the style is complementary to the modern look of his ring, and the design is unique and "me" enough that I think I'll be really happy with it. I know, I'm by no means Irish. But I've loved Celtic knots and music and fantasy stuff for the longest time. (I'm having Japanese-y lanterns and hopefully a cherry blossom cake, but I'm not Japanese either. I guess I like borrowing cultures!)

Finally, the expected completion date of my wedding dress has come and gone, but it isn't done yet. The vendor tells me that they've been behind because of the extended Chinese New Year holiday, but they haven't given me an update on when I can expect it to complete. I'm probably gonna email them again soon to ask them when it'll be completed. I'm getting a little antsy to see what it looks like, and I need a lot of time to get it bustled and cleaned before the big day. In fact, I think I'll go email them now.

4 Comments:

At March 12, 2006 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there!! I linked over here from WC - I hadn't been on that site in so long and hadn't realized that you started your own blog instead. It's been fun reading up on all of the latest wedding developments! I LOVE the shoes - they are fabulous! I'd dance and cook in them too if I had them. :) The dress is lovely too! And, now that you've picked out your ring, it looks like all the biggies are done.

 
At March 12, 2006 10:04 PM, Blogger Coldguy said...

Why waste money on a large ceremony? I say do it the old fashioned way.

Get a bunch of your friends and family over for a party, doesn't matter what is it, but suprise them saying that you are going to get married then. Everyone goes to a backyard (if allowed) and have the ceremony there. Afterwards party at your place with some snack food and some good old BBQ.

Cost for this weeding (not including rings) $500 plus everyone would have a blast.

 
At March 12, 2006 11:33 PM, Blogger Kristine N. said...

Hi Maybelle! It's great to hear from you again! I hadn't been at the WC much either, but I've started lurking there a little, now that all my wedding plans are taking shape. And WC seems a little more open to unique ideas nowadays.

Yeah, it's really exciting that the only major thing left to do is order the cake! After that, it's mostly just the details. :) I've got several projects left to do, so it's still gonna be super busy!

 
At March 12, 2006 11:45 PM, Blogger Kristine N. said...

Welcome, Coldguy! I would've done something similar for the reception, if money was tighter than it is. And if my parents would let me use their backyard. (I live in an apartment, and my mother is opposed to my marriage.) I hear BBQ receptions are becoming more common nowadays. I might've let Subway "cater" my wedding, if the community park allowed alcohol and loud music.

But why would anyone keep it a secret that the party is actually a wedding? I've never understood the "Surprise! You're at a wedding!" thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home