Saturday, March 25, 2006

Disappointment

It's starting out to be a pretty crappy day, unfortunately. We missed our appointment with the bakery.

It's our own fault, for a good part of it. We stayed up way past when we should have last night. Sam had felt like having wine, and he gets very inquisitive and talkative when he's drunk. So while I was downloading songs for the wedding, Sam was asking me questions and discussing things with me, and we ended up going to bed at around 4am. And we were still talking for a while afterward.

Since the appointment was for 10am, I had set my alarm for 8:30, but I have a horrible tendency to hit the snooze button while I'm still half asleep, so it wasn't until 9am that I woke up. I took a shower and nudged Sam to get up. He had/has a bad hangover, so it took him half an hour to get out of bed and get dressed. I called the bakery to tell them we'd be late, and they told me to hurry. We went out the door, into the car, and onto the freeway.

I've never driven to Ventura before. I don't know how to get around there, and the streets confused me even when I was only a passenger, much less when I was driving. So I was REALLY looking hard for a sign for my exit. But as more and more of Ventura came and went, I didn't see my exit and I began to worry. And as I recognized that I had passed Ventura, I couldn't find a freeway exit so I could drive back the way I came. So I had to keep driving for a long while, until I found an exit that led to tiny seaside roads with no signs. After wandering around for 5 minutes, I finally found the entrance to the freeway going South. But it was already 10:30, and even though I found the ever-elusive exit at around 10:40, I was too ashamed and angry and frustrated to show my face at the bakery, so I just drove us home. What sucks is that, if I had known where the exit was, we could've been there in 10 minutes. Instead, I just drove around for an hour, wasting gas and time.

Now I don't know what I'm gonna do about the cake. I had been looking forward to this appointment since last week, and I had a really good feeling about this bakery. I don't think I wanna reschedule since, to them, I totally flaked on our appointment. There's a bakery in Oxnard we could try, but it's getting really very close to our wedding date. And I'm not sure I feel so into Plusko's anymore. I was really getting into the idea that I'd have an amazingly awesome cake. So... I don't know. Maybe I'll discuss option with Bread Basket some more and see if I can get a less expensive cake? I feel like I'm being a brat about this, but I also feel like I've compromised so much already that I should at least be able to have the cake I want.

5 Comments:

At March 25, 2006 4:23 PM, Blogger Coldguy said...

Get Carvel! It is ice cream AND a cake! Who doesn't like that combination?

 
At March 26, 2006 9:48 AM, Blogger Kristine N. said...

I googled Carvel and turns out there's a location nearby! I'd never even heard of it before! I probably wouldn't get an ice cream cake cuz I'd be afraid of melting issues while it was getting cut and served to guests and what not. But my birthday's coming up soon... ;)

 
At March 26, 2006 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just call the bakery, tell them you got lost, apologize profusely, and reschedule. It's fine. If they're nice on the phone, go. If they're bitchy, tell them you're taking your business elsewhere and hang up. They should want your business enough to be cool about it.

 
At March 27, 2006 12:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with KristineK. Don't let your embarrasment get in the way of your perfect cake. It will be like biting your nose off to spite your face. Tell them you are sorry you missed your appointment but that you do wish to use their services and re-arrange.

 
At March 27, 2006 10:23 PM, Blogger Kristine N. said...

First, I've gotta apologize for this post. I was in a really bad mood when I wrote it, and it certainly shows. Sorry about that. I'm much better now. ^^;;

Anyway, Sam called them (I was too chicken to do it) and rescheduled for this Saturday at 8:30am. Yikes! Early. But I'm gonna make a point to leave way in advance so that even if I get lost again, we'll still get there on time. No late night shenanigans this Friday! We're gonna be good and be in bed by 11. Here's hoping it all goes well this time around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home